Welcome to Saturday the 18th of February and the 49th Day of 2023. Today, we are looking at 7 WAYS TO PROTECT & IMPROVE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
Your mind is one of the most important asset you have and it’s protection and improvement should be a constant priority to you. The greatest tragedy in life is losing your mind and still being alive because your inability to use your mind will prevent you from doing anything useful in this world.
Mostly the subject of mental health is not given a lot of attention but it should because over 3.1 million Ghanaians, representing 10 percent of the estimated 31 million total population, have a form of mental disorder or another from the Ghana Mental Health Authority and the World Health Organisation reports.
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices. These are the 6 ways to protect and improve your mental health;
1. GET ENOUGH SLEEP: Some people think getting less sleep is an indication of being ambitious and hardworking but the effect of that is negative and eventually affects their physical and mental health. Make it a point to get the prescribed 7 hours of sleep daily at least.
2. EAT WELL & STAY HYDRATED: The best way to eat well is to eat at home. Reducing junk food and eating home cooked meals with vegetables and fruits will be helpful. Learn to cook if you have to. To stay hydrated you need about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men and 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women. Most of us fall short of this, so putting in the effort to catch up should be a priority.
3. PRACTICE GRATITUDE & STAY POSITIVE: It is not easy to stay positive and grateful especially when things are not going well but being intentional about it will improve your mental wellbeing.
4. REDUCE SOCIAL MEDIA EXPOSURE: Social media is a useful tool but can have a negative effect on your mental health if you get addicted to it. Always seeing what others are doing, saying, wearing and going can make you feel less achieved or unworthy. Avoid it as much as you can.
5. EMBRACE NATURE & GOOD COMPANY: Be intentional about spending time outdoors and in the company of friends who make you laugh, happy and feel at home.
6. EXERCISE REGULARLY: This is not about hitting the gym, lifting weights or doing push ups; just 30 minutes of walking every day can help boost your mood and improve your health.
7. AVOID TOXIC PEOPLE & RELATIONSHIPS: There are over 7.9 billion people in this world, why spend time with the toxic ones when you have the choice of walking away and meeting other cheerful and positive people.
Your mental health is important, don’t take it for granted!