Welcome to Tuesday the 21st of February and the 52nd Day of 2023. Today we are looking at 7 WAYS TO KNOW YOU ARE ENTITLED & PROBABLY LAZY.
The world is changing and young people are developing a mindset that is unfortunately depriving them of the characteristics they need to survive and thrive. Often informed by social media and get-rich-quick schemes which prevent them from seeing the volume of work & discipline needed to attain success and wealth.
The entitlement mentality is defined as a sense of deservingness or being owed a favor when little or nothing has been done to deserve special treatment. It’s the “you owe me” attitude. Many people have this sense of entitlement and exhibit it in various settings including the workplace, church, schools, in relationships & marriages, with parents, friends, besties, government and so on.
The truth about life, especially for all adults, is that no one owes us anything and by indulging this way of thinking, we tend to me lazy, annoying and undesirable. So these are the 7 ways to check if you are being entitled and probably lazy.
1. YOU COMPLAIN A LOT: At the least chance, you will be heard complaining, finding faults, expressing dissatisfaction or annoyance at someone or something. Entitled people grumble a lot; often criticizing everything and never really doing much or having much to show for anything.
2. YOU BELIEVE THE WORLD IS UNFAIR: People with sense of entitlement think the world is unfair, especially to them, in moments when they compare themselves to others which happens very often.
3. YOU DEMAND SPECIAL FAVOURS: Entitled people always are expectant and demanding of special favours and attention. They want to be considered first, attended to first, have their problems solved first, prayed for first, given first and even liked or loved first.
4. YOU DO THE BAREST MINIMUM BUT EXPECT EQUAL OR BETTER TREATMENT: When you find yourself expecting to be treated like others are in school, at work, at home and in other places; first check your level of output to ensure that it is at par or even higher than those you are comparing yourself with. Entitled people don’t put in much or any effort at all but expect and sometimes demand to be treated equally or even better.
5. YOU ARE UNGRATEFUL & NOTHING IS EVER ENOUGH: Entitled people often find it hard to say thank you or even forget to express appreciation for things that people do for them. They often think it’s normal and nothing to be considered a big favour deserving of grand gestures of appreciation. They keep asking for more and never really take time to express gratitude.
6. YOU PLAY THE VICTIM & BLAME GAME: When you find yourself thinking or saying that nothing good happens to you and blaming everything and everyone for your current state and predicament, you mostly likely are being entitled.
7. YOU CRAVE VALIDATION & SUFFER INSECURITY: When you desire the recognition or affirmation that you, your feelings or opinions are valid or worthwhile; it is an indication of your need for validation and evidence of insecurity. Entitled people may come off as bold and arrogant but that may only be a charade shielding their insecurities, fears and inadequacies.
Which of the above ways do you exhibit? Check it and correct it for everything is really up to you. This is your life, take charge of it and don’t leave it to chance.